Childrens Commissioner for Wales
Creating an online community for the children of Wales
The Children's Commissioner for Wales is a remarkable initiative. Its main purpose is to promote the rights and welfare of children and young people in Wales.
They wanted to build an online community for children and recognised how important a website was to achieving this. But to make things more interesting, they had a unique challenge for us.
The site also needed to be relevant to parents, media and professionals (academics, government, educational, action groups and charities).
Working from their well defined brand guidelines we built a bi-lingual site that met the needs of the various target groups through the following features:
- A vibrant design with easy to use navigation that was appealing to children.
- Exciting features for children such as games and Backchat (a feature that encourages young people to complete short questions on key issues that affect them).
- Interactive features so visitors can upload their own content for display on the site, creating a community feel.
- Integration with social media to extend the reach of the community: we linked the Backchat feature to Bebo and also included all the latest Facebook and Twitter functionality.
- A well structured layout to display the large amounts of information for parents, media and professionals.
- A custom CMS so the Children's Commissioner team can control all apsects of the site.
When undertaking the project nothing was based on assumption. The Commissioner’s team put their skills into action and spoke to over 200 children about their ideas for the site. Through our excellent working relationship we were able to bring these ideas to life and build a fantastic online community.
The finished site has the perfect blend of creativity and fun for children, interesting content for parents, media and professionals and a layout and navigation that make the site easy to use for all.
Sara Young, Media & PR Officer for Children's Commissioner for Wales said:
"We involve children and young people in all aspects of our work so we were keen to appoint an agency that would work comfortably with children and young people and listen and take on board their views and opinions. From the outset, the Imaginet staff were flexible in their approach and responded positively to the feedback we gave them from children and young people, even during the interview stage."
"I was particularly impressed with the team's project management skills and the way in which they guided us to meet with every deadline. Their after-sale service has also been great, and proved invaluable to an IT-novice like me!"
"My sincere thanks to every member of the Imaginet team who helped us create a fantastic website, on time and to budget."